January 16, 2017
Updates to the Payroll Based Journal (PBJ) Manual
By Marilyn Mines, Senior Manager, Advisory Services
CMS posted an update to the PBJ Policy Manual late 2016. Only a few of the areas have changes, but they are important ones of which all skilled nursing facilities must be aware.
- Change of vendors may occur for any number of reasons. If the new vendor is not able to utilize the same unique employee identification numbers and new ones are given to the employees, they will be considered new hires, which will affect the turnover and tenure data.
- Transfers of staff from one facility to another restarts the hire/start date. The first day that services are provided in the new facility will be the date of hire. Hire and termination dates do not apply to the "company" rather they reflect the start and end employment at a specific facility site.
- Time entry: this is a major addition to the requirements. Minutes and hours are not entered: rather a fraction using the following conversions.
01 to 06 Minutes = 0.1 31 to 36 Minutes = 0.6 07 to 12 Minutes = 0.2 37 to 42 Minutes = 0.7 13 to 18 Minutes = 0.3 43 to 48 Minutes = 0.8 19 to 24 Minutes = 0.4 49 to 54 Minutes = 0.9 25 to 30 Minutes = 0.5 55 to 60 Minutes = 1.0
- Respiratory therapy was added to the list of therapists whose time must be reported. "Regardless of payer" was added to the verbiage regarding all therapist services.
- Two clarifications were added to the corporate staff time that may or may not be included.
- Resident chart review time may not be reported
- Only hours paid to work on site can be reported
If you have any questions regarding the Payroll Based Journal process, or would like education for your staff, please contact a Marcum advisor.